[HOT] Mapping Northern Nigeria ?

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:37:25 UTC 2015

Hi all:

There has been an active mapping effort in North Nigeria since March last
year, both mapping with imagery (mainly roads and streets) and data imports
[1] from eHealth Africa [2] data. Data imported includes boundaries (at
ward level - highest) for the 10 northernmost states, residential areas for
all those states too, and health facilities and place nodes.

TM jobs are the following:

Kano state road network [3]
Kano city streets and buildings [4]
Kano state health facilities [5]
Kano state town and city places [6]
Bauchi state road network [7] (This one is actually being worked on by 8
eHealth staff)
Bauchi state health facilies [8]

Some of the TM jobs are still unfinished.

The most affected states by this crisis are Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, but
Kano receives many attacks too (recently, a blast in a mosque in central
Kano city claimed the live of more than a hundred people. Other states,
like Bauchi, aren't safe from attacks either.

Apart from Kano (and partially Bauchi and Kaduna), the rest of the states
are poorly mapped in terms of roads and mostly everything else. So I think
that one of the most urgent jobs would be to map the road network, starting
from the states more in need (I would start with Borno, followed by Yobe
and Adamawa.

If you are interested, I could also contact eHealth Africa for other data
that might be interesting to import, like health facilities, place nodes
and others (schools perhaps). As far as I am aware of, data collection in
Borno and Yobe was very problematic, hard and risky, so it is much less
complete than in other states, like Kano for example. They didn't work with
Adamawa state (they only had boundaries data, at the LGA level).

Most of North Nigeria has hires Bing imagery. I edited a uMap to show that
[9]. eHealth Africa may have their own imagery too, and they might be
willing to license its use too. Again, I could ask too.

Cheers,

Rafael Ávila Coya.

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Nigeria#eHealth_Africa_Foundation_database_imports