[HOT] Humanitarian Mapping for a class

Mueller, Thomas Mueller at calu.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:53:32 UTC 2015

Hello

Hello, I have been working slowly trying to integrate humanitarian mapping into my classes and students' education over the past couple of years .  I am a Geography professor, but I admit I am a jack of all trades master of none (as I teach crime mapping, demographic analysis, GIS, etc.)  I have tried several small projects- some successful and others not so successful.  This year in one of my upper level classes I have assigned a Humanitarian Mapping assignment.  The students will be working on the Mapping Kamrangirchar (Dhaka, Bangladesh).  I felt this was a good project for my students since there are quite a few structures that need to be mapped.    I am requesting that my students spend 30 minutes per week, every week mapping structures for this project.  Obviously this should not be a difficult for them, but I am hoping it will accomplish several objectives including:

1)      Help map the area

2)      Help the students understand how they can "donate" their time to help (within a topic in their field)

3)      Hopefully this will become part of their routine so they will continue, etc.

Also it will make sure that I donate my time too to this endeavor.

I have one question - how is the best way for me to check that they have completed this assignment every week?  Should I have them copy and paste their history on to a Word Document?  Is there a better way?

Hopefully if this project is successful, then I am hoping to integrate this assignment into more of my classes.

Thank you for your time
Tom Mueller

Thomas R. Mueller, Ph.D., GISP
Advisor: Geography Major with GIS and Emergency Management Concentration
Co - Director: Pennsylvania View
Department of Earth Sciences, California University of Pennsylvania
"A man never gets to this station in life without being helped, aided, shoved, pushed and prodded to do better." - Johnny Unitas