[HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Thu Jul 16 13:30:33 UTC 2015

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 08:55:53 AM Robert Banick wrote:
> Speaking as a humanitarian GISer who's used HOT road layers quite a bit in
> a few crises, the road classifications really help. Primary / secondary /
> tertiary are useful, albeit vey incomplete, measures of the importance of
> roads that we can use to eyeball transit times etc. I would be strongly
> against ignoring those classification tags. I do agree we need more
> consistency in how they're applied however.

I wonder if you used (or if you feel that it would be useful) surface entries
on these roads/paths that are being mapped.  I know I added some surface
entries when I was mapping parts of Columbia based on what I was seeing.  I
suspect a road classified as a primary route but is also dirt, or otherwise
not paved, would make a difference in calculating route times and knowing what
kind of vehicle would be best to send.

--Eric