[HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Thu Jul 16 13:43:01 UTC 2015

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 09:32:38 AM john whelan wrote:
> I would say changing highway=pedestrian to
> highway=path in a rural area of West Africa would be part of validation.

It's interesting that you say that as there is a discussion happening on OSM-
Talk, and actually in the person's diary[0], where they point out that 'path'
seems to be very generic and that we should be aiming to make the description
of these ways more specific.  While I agree with the thought I think there
might be better ways of going about it.

I'm not advocating either way but I wonder if you'd agree that people mapping
using aerial pictures should tag what appears to be a narrow, non-motorized
vehicle path as a 'path' and let the person on the ground update that
information with the more specific use (i.e. footpath, track, etc)?

[0] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny/diary/35389 (scroll
down a bit to "highway=path, highway=footway problems")

--Eric