[HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

Thomas Gertin tgertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 21:44:00 UTC 2015

The source tag is a good option to add for surveys or local knowledge. It has been used for the Malawi Flood Preparedness project (http://hotosm.org/projects/osm_community_mapping_for_flood_preparedness_in_malawi <http://hotosm.org/projects/osm_community_mapping_for_flood_preparedness_in_malawi>). If you look for example at this node (http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3057310198 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3057310198>). You will see the tag ‘source:survey’ and also in the changeset you see the tag ‘source:Survey of 2014’.

A two-tiered system might make things more confusing. However, I do think that adding a tag that specifies ‘uncertainty’ is a good idea. I e-mailed the tagging listserv earlier this year and they pointed me to the ‘fixme’ tag (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fixme <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fixme>). I then created the Probable features wiki page (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Probable_features <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Probable_features>) that basically says the fixme tag can be used to specify that a feature needs additional validation. I would like to hear opinions on this, I haven't asked for any previously.

Thanks,

Tom G