[HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

althio althio.forum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:05:06 UTC 2015

On 17 July 2015 at 01:54, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> On 7/15/2015 5:40 AM, Ralf Stephan wrote:
>>
>> So, essentially, only locals have full knowledge and every tag by
>> nonlocals is preliminary?
>
> It's the importance of the road that determines its classification, and a
> local will have a better idea of the classification than someone remote.

We are discussing classification and relative importance of the roads
in a network.
To me, it is easier to analyse globally a road network from aerial
imagery than from the ground.
A local with knowledge and access to imagery is the best bet.
Failing that, the local and the remote mappers are rather complementary.