[HOT] Map-a-thon getting 509 Bandwidth Exceeded error

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:20:34 UTC 2015

Hi Nick,

Just to be complete for future reference as I had not heard of it before
and I can see it happening to other HOT mapping groups in the future:

We think this is not related to HOT or the Tasking Manager.

We suspect that it is related to OpenStreetMap in general and the
process of downloading the already existing data from OSM to your local
users.

Althio was suggesting you speak to the OSM system administrators via the
general OSM email lists or IRC.

It looks like you might have already followed up in IRC or someone with
the same problem did and the edited exchange is below.

<User> we were able to load our imagery and save data into OSM, but were
unable to download the existing data into the editor. I looked at the
network logs and everything was coming up 509 bandwidth exceeded

<User> it subsided later, but would come back, sort of like we were
getting throttled access.

<OSMSysAdmin> you just need to shout on here with your IP address and we
can apply a temporary fix

<OSMSysAdmin> unfortunately there is no way to "book" the fix in advance
- it has to be applied at the time that the problem occurs

<OSMSysAdmin> and yes throttling is exactly what is going on

<User> ok, in 12 hours from now can I do a ping? or does it gradually go
back to normal?

<OSMSysAdmin> it caps you to about 100Kbyte/second with a maximum debt
of 250Mbytes - once you have downloaded 250Mbytes downloads will be
blocked but that debt will decay away at 100Kbyte/second so yes, it will

<OSMSysAdmin> it should only take about 45 minutes to clear if you stop
completely

<User> the venue might have a limited number of IP addresses which could
be behind the problem

<OSMSysAdmin> the limit is per address so if it is natting or proxying
people then that is likely the issue

<User> I'll pop back onto #osm-dev in the morning and have our IP
addresses ready in case anything happens

<User> ok this is all good to know. I wasn't aware this could happen
with normal editing, but I guess we have a good number of people and
some dense data already uploaded into the system