[HOT] zebra crossing

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Mon Jun 22 01:37:38 UTC 2015

Hi John,
I’m happy to change the preset in iD to make it more clear.   Maybe we should just offer 2 presets that differentiate between “Marked Crosswalk” (aka `crossing=zebra`) and “Unmarked Crossing”?

This is an odd one because “Zebra Crossing” seems to be a well known thing in British English, but is unknown in American English.  In the United States people were asking me for a crosswalk preset, and we saw new mappers skipping crosswalks entirely because they didn’t know that `crossing=zebra` was the correct thing. Also, at the time the OSM wiki was confusing - it seemed to imply that all crossings were zebras - not sure if that is still the situation.

Thanks, Bryan