[HOT] Research and EU funding

John Andersson john.andersson at wikimedia.se
Mon Jun 22 11:39:49 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

My name is John Andersson and I am working for the Wikimedia Sverige. I am a big fan of HOT and I have been volunteering for a few years under the user name Jopparn. I also organized a mapathon here in Stockholm after the earthquake in Nepal.

Now my organization and I have gotten the chance to do research on how HOT's open map data has helped humanitarians and what still need to be worked on. I am hoping to start this work after the Summer and would love to discuss this with you experts and perhaps also interview a few of you.

Also, I am talking with Stockholm University and Mapillary about a joint EU application for funding for next year. (Mapillary is a Swedish company that's working on a crowdsourced street view, that I believe could be a valuable addition to HOT's work (as there license is compatible with OSM), and Stockholm University work a lot with ICT for development). This EU project could potentially bring in up to 2 million Euro for research and development for HOT. However, we need to get a better understanding about known bottle necks and find more European partners that have different kind of expertise in this field. If you have any ideas for good partners to get in contact with please share it here on the list or send me an email directly. The work with the application would most likely take place from September 2015-July 2016.

Looking forward to your insights!

Best,

John- - - -John AnderssonWikimedia SverigeProject Manager and FundraisingPhone: +46(0)73-3965189Email: john.andersson at wikimedia.seSkype: johnandersson86 Be sure to follow us on Twitter at @WikiEuropeana and @WikimediaSEWould you like to support free knowledge and Wikipedia? Please consider becoming a member of Wikimedia Sverige! We need your support.