[HOT] #923 - Mayendit, South Sudan - buildings and roads

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:49:16 UTC 2015

Also, on the buildings. This is important as it gives the MSF
epidemiologists a building count which then can be used for various
analyses before the assessment team goes and used to cross-validate survey
results when they are done.

Thanks all for contributing!

Pete

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Kretzer <kretzer at gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks! My question was not so clear there: The road you mention splits
> further to the west:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/8.1109/29.9715&layers=H
> Here, the left branch clearly is a high category road, on the right I
> don't even see a track. Maybe they should be merged?
> There are some random entries in this tile, so maybe it's just an
> accident.
>
> *Gesendet:* Freitag, 06. März 2015 um 01:44 Uhr
> *Von:* "Tom Taylor" <tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com>
> *An:* Kretzer <kretzer at gmx.net>, hot at openstreetmap.org
> *Betreff:* Re: [HOT] #923 - Mayendit, South Sudan - buildings and roads
> P.S. Bing imagery clearly shows a main road running south of the hamlet.
>
> Tom Taylor
>
> On 05/03/2015 7:00 PM, Kretzer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have some questions about this new project:
> > In the western part there are quite unusual structures, there are many
> buildings
> > stretched in long lines. Like here:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/8.1325/29.9831&layers=H
> > I started mapping these as residential areas, unless there were only one
> or two
> > single buildings - would you do that? Or is it better to just map the
> buildings?
> > I can't even be sure there buildings are really used for permanent
> living, just
> > assumed that. Maybe there is someone with mor knowledge of the area?
> > I'm also curious what the many round strucures in the open area are.
> They could
> > well be man-made, maybe something like haystacks (or whatever material
> would be
> > collected there).
> > Also I am unsure about the roads. There is one tagged as main road
> that's not
> > even visible on the imagery. I guess that doesn't make sense
> (particularly as
> > the other main road can clearly be seen as something like that), but
> didn't dare
> > to touch the top-level structures.
> > Thanks, and sorry again if I am asking in the wrong place!

*Pete Masters*
Missing Maps Project Coordinator
+44 7921 781 518

missingmaps.org <http://www.missingmaps.org/>