[HOT] HOT Board and Chair Elections

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:58:31 UTC 2015

On 3/6/2015 2:29 PM, Heather Leson wrote:

> 3. Gender
> Are you a women? Please run for the Board. Ask me any questions and I
> can help. Claire was on the Board with me this past year. It made a
> difference in dynamic. One thing that we have not broached enough is the
> what I like to call the "mapper dude" dynamic. For my male colleagues,
> you are awesome. I have the utmost respect for you. Honest. I am
> slightly uncomfortable bringing up the topic of gender, which is a sign
> in itself. If we are growing globally, we need to also have more women
> inspired to be members and community leaders. I can't put my finger on
> why more women are not involved, but we need to think about it.  This
> will come in time as is evident from the changing nature of some of the
> workshops of late. But, there is a gap.
>
> Just like HOT needs a balanced Board of diverse skills and locations, we
> also need women. See some of the research.

Hi Heather,

I just wanted to chime and say I second the idea of more outreach to
women to serve on the Board, as well as participate in our community
where ever they might be interested.

I perceive our community as a safe space for everyone and I am very
proud of that. And if my perception is mistaken and someone does not
feel that way, please let us know so we can fix where we are failing.

I think it is very appropriate to keep gender in mind when finding
people for any role in our community.

On a recent HOT Summit conference call while discussing speakers,
someone spoke up and said "Should we consider gender balance in our
speakers line up?" I am sorry I didn't catch who said it, but yes, yes
we should and thank you for bringing it up and knocking some of us out
of our default mode of not considering it.

And thank you Heather for bringing it up in this discussion as well.

Blake