[HOT] HOT Board and Chair Elections

Mark Cupitt markcupitt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 06:06:05 UTC 2015

Hi All, sorry, I missed one additional comment, in terms of the Governance.

Heather brings up an excellent point on continuity. It is very disruptive
for any organization, especially one as globally diverse as HOT is, to
change its entire leadership on an annual basis.

In reality and in my experience, the old board tends to not make serious
decisions in the last, or possibly second last month before an election to
not stick the new board with issues they do not understand. When the new
board comes in, there is at least one month handover to get the them up to
speed on where the organization is. So that is potentially 1/4 of the
working year that is unproductive.

Add in a very realistic possibility that the entire board could change at
an election, especially due to changing work commitments of serving board
members and them not opting for re-election, we could end up with a totally
new board who has no previous knowledge of issues an decisions made in the
previous terms. (There would of course be informal availability of old
board members)

One of the better ways to address this is to extend the terms of directors
to two or three years (three is maximum) and have a rotating election
process each year. This has a number of benefits, including:

1.  smaller number of seats becoming vacant each year which should
encourage more candidate diversity (I mean, more people for fewer seats
means more candidates to choose from at election time).
2. continuity on board business as half or two thirds of the board will be
"business as usual", the election process will have no impact on the
organizations business.
3. new members will have a chance to be mentored on board procedures and
how it all works by people who have experience, thus making it easier for
people with no experience at sitting on boards to make worthwhile
contributions
4. it may also encourage people who do not nominate to do so. I am sure
that some people find the prospect of the responsibility, commitment and
procedural requirements quite daunting.

Sitting on a board is a very worth while experience. The opportunity to
contribute at that level and stand and represent the organization legally
is not for everyone, but it is very rewarding and satisfying. You also get
to meet and work with some fantastically and brilliant people.

Some thoughts for future consideration by members and the New Board

Regards

Mark Cupitt

"If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"

See me on Open StreetMap <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mark_Cupitt>