[HOT] Identification of Communication towers

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 13:03:31 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

These are challenging to spot and hard to tag correctly without local
knowledge I just discovered.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcommunications_tower

I usually find towers by seeing the shadow they cast, that is the big
indicator to me.

Here are a few examples in the region:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-21.90198/166.072485

If you look very carefully at the shadow you can see the microwave
transceiver drums in the shadow. I would guess that is what helped the
person identify this one as a "communications" tower specifically.

----------------------------

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-20.748846/167.262194

That one again, shows the shadow being a pretty big factor. And it also
show a typical service road and pad. I do not know how the mapper knew
it was a communications tower.

------------------------------

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/14.977132/120.52743

Shadow and microwave drums visible