[HOT] West Africa Ebola Activtion - UNMEER request to Enhance Routing

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 16 18:21:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,
With the rainy season arriving soon in West Africa, the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) wants to enhance the routing algorithms to better predict the road displacement times.
This morning, we had a formal request from UNMEER to collaborate on this project as the rainy season arrives soon. We would like to have your comments on the feasability and the best way for us to participate to such a project.

There were already discussions on this recently, talking either about isochrone maps, WFP enhancing road conditions, usage of the OSRM tool.

>From the discussions this morning, A local drinking company would accept to collaborate with the drivers providing average speed time.

UNMEER plans to use seasonnal average speed time (ie. rainy / dry seasons). This means that we would have to add two tags to enter this information into the OSM database.  The drinking company would take care to organize the data collection with their employes. We discussed about either using Fieldpapers or some tools like OSMand if drivers are using phones.

To conclude, it was said in the discussion that OSMand is one of the best tool ever. Always interesting to have such feedbacks, and yes, in context of humanitarian operations in such large territories, these mobile tools are as valuable as in our car at home, and invaluable for drivers.

Pierre