[HOT] Post-disaster imagery for Vanuatu

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Mar 18 07:46:04 UTC 2015

On 3/17/2015 5:20 PM, Blake Girardot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One additional note, please do not remove any buildings based on this
> updated imagery. At the moment one major data need is pre-event
> building footprints and residential areas.
There is nothing wrong with removing a building which is no longer
present. This is not abnormal, but is standard practice for features
which no longer exist.

I used the imagery and had a look at Port Vila. I ended up adding more
buildings than removing. Some were new construction, but many were
because previously unidentifiable features were not covered by the
differently positioned clouds, or damage to trees had made the
structures more obvious. Most of the buildings objects removed were
never buildings, but had been misidentified by the original mapper. Only
in very few cases were there clear signs of a building before and no
building after.