[HOT] Date of a mapped feature?

Chris Braun brauncch at gmail.com
Fri May 1 03:37:25 UTC 2015

Thanks Clifford for the clarification.

Am I the only one who believes this issue is very important and should
be dealt with?
Maybe it's more a mid/long term issue: while we can guess that
everything which is mapped today in Nepal is very recent because of the
effort and wide participation triggered following the earthquake, if
another catastrophe happens in a few years in the same region and the
mapping effort restarts, rescue teams will have no clue to know whether
what they see on the map dates back from the post 2015 earthquake or was
mapped following the second catastrophe. This is a real problem, no? And
of course this does not only apply for Nepal.

At least if would be good to systematically tag the date of the imagery
when it is known (Bing), and maybe try to find some strategy to give an
estimate date (base on changesets for instance) for other imagery where
the exact date is unknown.

What do you (experienced users of OSM) think of this?

Thanks,
Chris