[HOT] [OSM-talk] BBC License Violation?

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri May 1 21:37:50 UTC 2015

They will have to pay an interview for this :)

Pierre

      De : Robert Banick <rbanick at gmail.com>
 À : OSM Talk <talk at openstreetmap.org>; hot <hot at openstreetmap.org>
 Envoyé le : Vendredi 1 mai 2015 17h18
 Objet : [OSM-talk] BBC License Violation?

Hi All,
I was reading the below linked article on the BBC today and came across the map. It looks like they’re using OSM-derived internally displaced person (IDP) camp data without attribution.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682

Based on what I’m reading in the relevant coordination channels it appears that HOT / Kathmandu Living Labs are one of the main sources for IDP damage. This is confirmed by the obvious square shape of the southern camps shown. The shape appears to align with bounds of HOT task #1008. http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1008
Likely this is an honest mistake from a BBC reporter who sourced the derived data from the Nepali government. Nonetheless it’s a violation and should be fixed.
Is there anyone with BBC contacts who could try to have this sorted? I’ve written them through the generic Contact button but personal contacts are always quicker.
Best,Robert
—
Sent from Mailbox