[HOT] Taking Care

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:04:24 UTC 2015

Hi Folks, Kathleen reposted my Take Care post last week. I hope you read
it. You may have seen notes from Mikel and Blake advising that they are
taking a break. I took one on Friday/Saturday (the weekend in the middle
east).

The Nepal HOT response will be long. Each of you have done so much to help.
Thank you to all the leaders and contributors. Some of you are mapping
alone and maybe not talking on IRC or Mumble.

It is so important to rest. Here is a quick list of things you can do to
take care:

1. Drink more water.
2. Take 12 to 24 hours off. Hand off tasks if you can. Offer to help those
who have not taken a break.
2. Sleep 6 - 8 hours if not more.
3. Eat healthy food - vegetables, fruit.
4. Go for a walk
5. Watch a movie, listen to music.
6. Talk with a friend or family member about something that is not mapping
7. Tell this list to your friends and family and ask them to watch out for
you, your energy and health in the coming days and weeks.

I know some of these items seem simple or extravagant considering the
emergency at hand, but many of us have burnt out during emergencies. It
will sneak up on you - the stress and the rollercoaster. You may downplay
it. This is why we share to remind you that digital contributors can become
strained too.

HOT needs to build some mechanisms to co-map (map in pairs) or group check
in points as many of us are doing all kinds of activities remotely. Believe
me, many of us are thinking about this and how to help.

I am going to work today (jobs matter too) and then do a few hours of HOT
communications catch up. On Thursday I was very tired, so I promised myself
a break. This I share with you because I know that many of you are quietly
working away. Your gift is beautiful and you are changing the world. But
the world needs you rested too.

Thank you again for being so inspiring

Heather

Heather Leson