[HOT] Nepal: Hospital import gone wrong?

Prabhas Pokharel prabhas.pokharel at gmail.com
Mon May 4 04:26:56 UTC 2015

Thank you all; two main issues here: one that the dataset geolocations are
problematic, and two that the license was incompatible. Apologies for
incorrectly interpreting the license here in Nepal.

As megha said, the reason we attempted this was because the maps that
HOTOSM volunteers have helped create via tracing for us is amazingly
detailed (in terms of residential areas, roads, pre-quake buildings), but
hard to use because of the lack of POIs on the ground. This was an attempt
to alleviate the problem, but sounds like we did misinterpret the license
issue, and apologies for that.

We simply did not know about the problematic geolocations. However, it is
worth noting that this dataset is what a lot of organizations have been
using locally, given that it is the best available dataset of health
facility locations.

Maybe the discussion we need to have soon is how we can improve OSM-based
tools (MapOSMatic, Fieldpapers, etc) to incorporate datasets like this that
are very useful in scenarios like what we are going through, but are
incompatible to put into OSM because of the license.

cheers,
Prabhas

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Rafael Avila Coya <ravilacoya at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Megha (MeghaShrestha), the user that imported these data, has answered
> me through the OSM messaging. She works with the KLL and she tells me:
> "we are trying to create papers for the relief workers. The problem
> being there are enough details like roads, buildings, rivers but no
> POIs in many areas. It is difficult for the relief workers to locate
> themselves on the map. Importing the health facilities data was an
> attempt so that they can at least find some POIs they can look for
> while locating themselves on the map. The data I imported was from
> https://data.hdx.rwlabs.org/dataset/nepal-health-facilities-cod. The
> licence says we can use the data for non commercial purpose and we
> need to credit the source. I hope these information are helpful and
> you can help us out."
>
> With this info, I can see that the data is the one we were discussing
> a few days ago, although that data set contained almost 9,000 nodes,
> whereas the one of Megha had around 4,660.
>
> I recall the main problem: geolocation was very poor (most of nodes in
> well out of any settlements). The other problem I see is the license:
> it's for non-commercial use, and that makes it incompatible with the
> OSM license.
>
> I really feel to give a no in such circumstances as these, and that's
> why I ask for more input from other people with experience on this,
> just in case there is any possibility of including the data into OSM,
> and if not what other options we would have to make good use of these
> data set, if any.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rafael.
>
> On 03/05/15 18:14, Kretzer wrote:
> > When looking at the Gorkha area in #1024 I noticed several nodes
> > tagged as "Hospital" with a lot of information, quoting UNOCHA as
> > source, but obviously in the wrong place, because there is nothing
> > nearby. Like here:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/28.00839/84.62397 Looks
> > like a mass import that somehow went wrong ... shame, because
> > hospitals are important!
> >

> > By the way, I am somewhat confused as to what is that called a
> > "task" now? Is it a single tile (with a #) or is it the whole
> > project?

> - --
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/ravilacoya

> Por favor, non me envíe documentos con extensións .doc, .docx, .xls,
> .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, aínda podendoo facer,  non os abro.
>
> Atendendo á lexislación vixente, empregue formatos estándares e abertos.
>
> http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Tipos_de_ficheros

Prabhas Pokharel
http://prabhasp.com
twitter/skype/facebook/whatever: prabhasp