[HOT] Tracing tagged buildings

Klaus Hartl k127 at gmx.de
Mon May 4 11:11:56 UTC 2015

Hi HOT,

with this message I’m not particularly answering the previous one rather than intending to jump on that topic due to some misunderstandings I got notified by concerned users via private message (which I’ll post here), on which a little clarification is needed. If the following issues are clarified elsewhere, I’d like to thank you for that notice in advance and excuse any double posting.

Some OSM mapper wrote to me:

Hi I'd like to let you know that the Task #658 (http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1018#task/658) is a complete mess thanks to you and a few other users. Why don't you read the instructions before starting to work on the map? You've entered thousand of buildings as nodes, when instruction states that buildings has to be entered as polygons and now someone is going to waste precious time in order to correct your errors. I hope this was your only mistake. I'm not going to waste any more time by writing to you; please, read carefully the instructions BEFORE any edit.

Have a nice one Regards

I’d like to post my reasons to this list so that
it can be validated by all and
further misunderstandings can hopefully be avoided

Hello […],

Thank you for your friendly notice and for honoring OSM volunteer work.

You're definitely right proposing to trace buildings as areas.

Hence, I am fully aware that I created information what you might consider a lack of quality.

However, the reasons for registering buildings like I did are these:
I was working on an HOT task (in case you don't know, please see [1]). Buildings are not part of the main objective of this task, which is rather to find flat spaces suitable for potential helicoper landings among others.
Regarding my paradigm of contributing to OSM data more generally, I tend to improve data quality in several iterations, this means to break up the task into various pieces (which of course have to be consistent), if it isn't justifiable to solve the task as an one-off (cf. 1.). The first iteration in the given case would be to register buildings as quickly as possible. Technically spoken, in JOSM, I copy one building node and then per instance point the mouse cursor on the right spot while pasting. You're right when you call this far from perfect, but it's something me or others can start from later. And regarding the schema [2], attributing a single node looks fairly valid to me. Tracing the building as an area would therefore be part of the next iteration step since some exact adjustment is required per object, which renders the effort many times higher.
If you've got any remarks or further questions, please don't hesitate to state them.

Cheers and happy mapping

Klaus / k127