[HOT] Seasonal or Intermittent

Michael ohrosm at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:10:22 UTC 2015

Hi Nick,

> But I started altering this a little while ago due to a conversation on
> this mailing list, and was using
> intermittent=yes  as per
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent

That's what I have been using for waterways as well.

> However, Highway Tag Africa
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa#Seasonal_roads
> goes with seasonal=yes

Hm, this is about roads, not waterways. For me that would be sufficient
reason to have a different approach. I think "intermittent" for a road
would not really make sense. But I guess that's up to native speakers to
judge.

> I don't mind which we go with, but it would be good if we advocated the
> same one, although I'm sure software writers, GIS experts and map makers
> can easily cater for either tag.

For waterways I personally prefer "intermittent" since it has a broader
meaning to me - could be something from 1 h per day to 200 days per year.

Michael