[HOT] JOSM people validating / mapping in Nepal, please run JOSM's validator before finishing a tile

kusala nine kusala9 at googlemail.com
Thu May 7 13:21:11 UTC 2015

An interesting thread - I work for a national mapping agency and we collate
vector data from all over the world. My personal view is that a vector
database can either be consistent or complete and, when over  certain size,
is rarely both. We run complex validation post-compilation across millions
of datasets and do some corrections automatically. Fixing them at source is
impossible - it's preferable to support the community with encoding guides
and comprehensive tools (some "inconsistencies" are just personal, national
or cartographic preferences). My observation on OSM is that the same
dynamic applies but the benefits far far outweigh the inconsistencies. as
the project grows so its organisation and tools must evolve to adapt to the
larger population.... jon.