[HOT] [info-hotosm] Reference Project #1030 Nepal Earthquake

Kevin Bullock kbullock at digitalglobe.com
Fri May 8 16:04:13 UTC 2015

>>it still concerns me that untrained users can move the imagery around at a whim

completely agreed; not only in this Nepal activation but for all OpenStreetMap work!

>>Perhaps a lower cutoff angle could be adopted to filter out images of high distortion and displacement.

this is our typical operational procedure, so the imagery you’ll see in Bing Maps, and Mapbox Satellite has these characteristics.

>>Are your satellite orbits geostationary or do they move longitude-wise with each pass?

our satellites (and most Earth Oberservation satellites) are in “Low Earth Orbit” at around 600-800 km. By comparison, Geostationary is over 35,000 km! Geo is far too distant to make high resolution observations. DigitalGlobe satellites are in a Sun Synchronous orbit meaning they orbit from North Pole to South Pole in an approximate 90 min revolution. So each satellite makes about 15 Earth orbits per day. In fact, all of the orbit information is public domain data found here: http://www.celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/master.asp

Regards, Kevin

This electronic communication and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of DigitalGlobe, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, or an agent or employee responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, or if you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy you received.

DigitalGlobe reserves the right to monitor any electronic communication sent or received by its employees, agents or representatives.