[HOT] slow time mapper productivity

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat May 9 01:11:01 UTC 2015

Hi Tom and Kretzer,

Something to note, is there are other advantages and disadvantages to the various editors and that is why we must allow for people to choose which one is right for them.  In some places we work, people are less familiar with computers and the internet.  In some cases, just being a desktop editor makes JOSM more familiar and easier to work with.  In other cases it can be difficult to explain what Java is and why JOSM doesn’t work without it.  You can be more certain that they already have a browser installed; many of our first day trainings in the field are a bit of general computer usage to start.  Locally during a disaster there may not be an internet and you need offline capability, but possibly there is hit and miss cell service enough to use a mobile editor.

This is what makes it pretty much impossible to just ‘flip a switch’ and have everyone using the same tools and methods and find a training method that works for all (not to mention different learning styles, etc.)  I can say that in my short time with OSM, there have been leaps and bounds in making things more user friendly as well as easier to check quality, use the data, etc., etc.  I remember there were a few videos made by Steve Coast showing how to edit with Potlatch, and they worked to get me started (and were rather entertaining/comical) but somewhat showcase two issues I often think about regarding training tools: translation and shelf-life; I think those videos may have disappeared already, but even at the time I watched them, things had changed and they were showing their age.

I know this was a bit more than a reply just to this thread, but sort of a reply in general to a lot of topics; please do keep up the conversation, we can always do better,

=Russ