[HOT] QGIS and OSM and..

Michael ohrosm at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:33:04 UTC 2015

Hi Spring,

Am 10.05.2015 um 10:47 schrieb Springfield Harrison:
> Further bad news, trying to download OSM through JOSM yielded the following message:
>
> /The OSM server 'api.openstreetmap.org' reported a bad request.
>
> The area you tried to download is too big or your request was too large.
> Either request a smaller area or use an export file provided by the OSM community.

I am afraid but this is standard behavior in any editor. Basically this
is not the way to go if you actually want to download OSM data for
consumption.

> /Does this process usually work?  Is it not possible to simply get a shapefile
> of this information and avoid all the multiple file type rigmarole?

If you actually want a shapefile for all of Nepal I would recommend
using one of the available downloads listed on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake#Exporting_OpenStreetMap_data

But if you are only interested in some feature you should have a look at
Overpass Turbo. This allows to download filtered results.
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9hb is a sample query for aeroway=helipad in
the area showed in the map. But unfortunately this will not yield
shapefiles. Also the query language requires to go through some learning
curve if you want to create a bit more complex queries.

Cheers,
	Michael (user Ohr)