[HOT] landslides and imagery

john o'l ol.john.el at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:59:06 UTC 2015

Also linking a website with links to a report on the Oso landslide as it is
somewhat familiar to me
http://www.geerassociation.org/GEER_Post%20EQ%20Reports/Oso_WA_2014/index.html
For our purposes, some of the key points made are:  the initial phase of
the slide (most destructive/fastest and most distant runout) -- was an old
slide that had remobilized. 200 vertical meters of material which covered a
horizontal distance of 1000 meters.  So existing landslides can remain very
dangerous for a considerable period of time.  The 1 km runout, (or
"deposit" keeping with the tagging scheme I proposed  "area = deposit") was
not extraordinary based on volume of material, however it was extraordinary
relative to most peoples' perceptions -- I doubt anyone seriously
considered that a hillside that low and distant could be an active risk to
an area as far away as the main highway corridor.

After mapping some more landslides to my local machine but yet to upload
any to OSM, I'd like to update my proposed OSM tagging scheme:

hazard_type = landslide
hazard_prone = yes
area = scarp OR deposit
damage:event = nepal_earthquake_2015 OR pre_nepal_earthquake_2015
barrier = scarp OR deposit
source = DigitalGlobe, 2015-05 OR other as appropriate
landuse = brownfield

Cheers,

John