[HOT] HOT: Glacial & landslide dammed lakes

Sam Inglis sam.inglis at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:59:36 UTC 2015

Dear All,

I agree totally, the hydropower issues are enormous - a very important case
study of the 1985 Dig Tsho glacial lake disaster, studied by Vuichard &
Zimmerman in 1987, revealed the destructive potential of Glacial Lake
Outburst Floods (GLOFs) and LLOFs.

Please see via:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3qRfjnIhqMhfm44dlZnM2x3Um1ia09mV2FwNHhLQmR2TDZKNVBaNFlyNENERkNZTkNmOU0&authuser=0

I would be happy to scan the satellite imagery for viable sites, but the
main issue is LLOFs (Landslide-dammed Lake Outburst Floods) in the
immediate future. In order to identify these, the HOT team needs to make
current satellite imagery available (my apologies if this has already been
done).

I am also quite busy at the moment, and very sadly (selfishly) cannot
commit to mapping the situation in the next day or so. However, the key
things to be looking out for are* landslide-dammed lakes*. They are highly
destructive, enormously unstable, filled by glacial melt waters, debris,
rainwater, and anything else entrained by the waters, and very deadly.

These features form very rapidly - a 6km lake formed and burst within a
couple of days along the Sutlej River, due to a combination of internal
pressure (the river has a naturally high discharge rate), compounded by a
cloudburst.

Also keep an eye out for shifting glaciers, as their migrations will
release sub- or englacial (internal) meltwater - the slipping of glaciers
down valley may have blocked sections of rivers, and would create very
dangerous situations.

I could try and come up with a brief handbook on what to look out for, so
that the features can be identified, in the next 4 days? If this agreeable,
someone should just give me an idea of what the team needs, and I'll work
to spec!

Thanks,

Sam Inglis MSc

<http://hk.linkedin.com/in/saminglis/>
<https://www.facebook.com/sam.inglis.92>
<https://twitter.com/the_ice_man_24>[image: +852 6036 8750]
<(+852)+6036+8750>[image: sam_urai_24] <sam_urai_24>