[HOT] newbie needs advice

cascafico cascafico at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:06:58 UTC 2015

Springfield Harrison wrote
>  As a 30+ year helicopter pilot, I did have some concern with the very
> skimpy helipad instructions.  In high-altitude, rugged terrain there is
> much more to locating helipads than finding a 30 m flat square of ground.
> Is there any technical oversight by experienced pilots on this task?
> I assume that there are no current maps for this area, just the OSM edits?
> I did find some ASM 1950s mapping.  Is there nothing newer than that?

One of the first exercises during remote sensing lessons is closely related
to your concerns: identify potential landing spots using digital terrain
model and near infra-red imagery. It's pretty simple. I wonder why some GIS
people didn't automate that, say conditional 10° slope, slope direction,
elevation<11.000 ft and scrub free land   ...maybe no NIR data available?

JOSM crowd should be aware of the 30 m DEM TMS available since 20150506 [1]
before mapping potential landings... it's very useful, even without
vegetation data.

[1]
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/30-m-DEM-TMS-rendering-for-Nepal-td5843573.html

-----