[HOT] GIS Day in Lomé and Haiti in the middle of two OSM and GIS capacity building missions

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:21:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Apologies for cross-postings, I am resending from crisis mappers, this note
for those still active mapping this GIS Day 2015.

Sharing a short wrap up of how the GIS Day looked like for two collectives
of mappers active in Lomé and Port Au Prince which might be of interest.

"GIS Day" 08 PM (UTC), it's mid day in Port Au Prince (Haiti) and night
time in Lomé (Togo) after long and happy working hours around OSM, GIS and
opendata.

In Togo at Université de Lomé UL (Lomé University UL):
- 50 people working all day long on QGIS with OpenStreetMap data created
through the first 4 days of the maptrek mivamapper (Come map Togo local
language) in Anfamé (Lomé) but also with data from the OCHA Core
Operational Datasets (COD) and Fundamental Operational Dataset (FOD)
accessed via the Humanitarian Responses and the HDX platforms.
- 20 people working half a day exploring, visualizing and retrieving
geodata of all sorts (openstreetmap, opendata, gray-licensed data) with the
IFL (Infrastructure de Données Spatiales Francophone Libre/ "Free
Francophone SDI"-FFS) hosted in France at AgroCampus Ouest and maintained
with the support of the GeOrchestra community.
- The same 20 spent their afternoon reinforcing their grasp on the
webmapping tool uMap with the same kind of data
- Asides of this, the same people kept mapping Anfamé and Biu cities as the
first targets set for the mivamapper maptrek experience started last
Saturday 14-November (our 8 days-long mapathon)
- Now that night fell over Lomé, the preparatory work for our second State
Of The Map Africa, the SOTMTG 2015, is intensifying.

In Haiti at the Port Au Prince base of Haiti Communitere,
- a couple of Haitian experienced mappers are being taught OSM on a train
the trainer program
- The same with the ProjetEOF collective are also organizing for both
remote attendance of the SOTMTG 2015 and the last day of mivamapper
- They are also laying the ground for a mapathon that will take place this
21-Nov at HC's base and will focus on Areas Of Interest for local
communities in Haiti
- Like the days before, they'll finish their days joining in Western
African mappers in the mivamapper maptrek.

A rich GIS day like most of our days in Haiti ([1], [2]) and in Togo ([3],
[4], [5]) over the past 2 weeks and likely of the coming 10 days throughout
those two OSM and Free GIS capacity building missions designed, funded and
co-implemented with the Digital Directorate of the Organisation
Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) and with our haitian partner Haiti
Communitere

Anyone interested on these initiatives and willing to join can follow
blogs, wiki, mailing lists from ProjetEOF and local OSM groups from Togo,
Niger, Mali, Burkina, Togo, Bénin and Sénégal as well as the FB and twitter
accounts of those groups as well as the following hashtags #ProjetEOF
#map4tg #mivamapper.

Best,
Nicolas

[1]: