[HOT] Hurricane Patricia Update: October 25

Taichi Furuhashi taichi at osmf.jp
Mon Oct 26 02:54:22 UTC 2015

Hi Robert and HOT members:

I'm a HOT member in Japan.

We have shared "The inland mapping task" to Japanese mappers.
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1258

Major mappers are newbies, because they are students.

If you can, I want to translate some description in Japanese for beginners
in Japan.
Could you add editable permission to me?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/MAPconcierge

Regards,

from Taichi

> *Versión en Español viniendo pronto*
>
> Hi all,
>
> Hurricane Patricia has been downgraded to a tropical depression. In
> practical terms this marks its end as a notable weather event. Thanks to a
> lucky storm path that avoided population centers and good preparedness work
> by the Mexican authorities not a single person died. However, significant
> property damage occurred and much rebuilding remains to be done,
> particularly along the coast. We anticipate HOT's data will assist
> reconstruction in the affected areas.
>
> HOT, in coordination with the OSM MX commnunity, has been active the past
> two days tracking the hurricane's progress and mapping vulnerable areas in
> its path. We have two mapping tasks open on the OSM Tasking Manager (
> tasks.hotosm.org): a task covering coastal areas in the storm's path and
> a task mapping more inland areas. We do not anticipate opening additional
> tasks but we are monitoring the situation in case landslides, floods or
> other post-hurricane hazards create humanitarian situations we can
> contribute to.
>
> Thanks to the hard work of volunteers like yourself we've made good
> progress. At present the coastal mapping task (
> http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1257) is almost completely mapped but
> only partly validated; validators would be most appreciated on this task.
> The inland mapping task (http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1258) is only
> 15% complete and needs a lot more work. For those who are new to HOT or OSM
> and still want to contribute, this second task is a perfect place to start.
>
> Additionally, HOT is working with data providers to prepare one or more
> data imports for the affected areas. We have received explicit permission
> from the Mexican Government to import anything on its open data site (
> http://datos.gob.mx/) into OSM - a very exciting first. Potential data
> useful for Patricia includes administrative boundaries, roads, schools
> and/or hospitals. For those who are curious about this, please follow the
> osm-imports list (https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports) where
> we will post plans for any import(s).
>
> Thank you to all those who have contributed so far in small ways or large.
> We appreciate the efforts of each and every one of you so very much.
>
> With all the best,
> Robert, Humberto and Rafael
>
> *Key Links*
>
> For those curious for additional details about this activation, please
> refer to the project wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Hurricane_Patricia
>
> For those just getting started with HOT / OSM or just curious, check out
> MapGive, which explains why this work is so important:
> http://mapgive.state.gov/why-map/
>
> If you want to learn more about mapping after that, go through the mapbox
> tutorials:
> https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Mapping-with-OpenStreetMap
>
>> Sent from Mailbox <https://www.dropbox.com/mailbox>

## Taichi FURUHASHI
## Professor of School of Global Studies and Collaboration, Aoyama Gakuin
Univ.
## President of MAPconcierge Inc.
## Director of OpenStreetMap F. Japan with sinsai.info
## Director of the OSGeo F. Japan
## Researcher of the center for spatial info. science, univ.of Tokyo
## ZIP252-5258, Fuchinobe5-10-1,Sagamihara,Kanagawa, Japan.
## Room No.720, B-Building, GSC, Sagamihara Campus, Aoyama Gakuin Univ.
## 〒252-5258 神奈川県相模原市中央区淵野辺5-10-1 青山学院大学 相模原キャンパス 地球社会共生学部 B棟720
## TEL/Skype&Twitter&LI&FB: 070-6401-5963 / http://about.me/mapconcierge
## URL/Mail: http://www.mapconcierge.com taichi at gsc.aoyama.ac.jp,
info at mapconcierge.com
## GPS/GigaPan/UAV Shop: http://gigapan.jp 、売上1%がOSMFJの活動費として寄付されます。