[HOT] HOT New Member Nominations

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Fri Oct 30 00:01:18 UTC 2015

Greetings Global Community of HOT,

(my apologies, I meant to send this on Monday but was focused on our
Activations)

There are never enough ways to thank you for all that you have done and
continue to do for HOT. It is my pleasure to announce that the Voting
Members of HOT have launched the nomination period for a New Member
Election. Voting Members are our ‘core team’ that handle governance such
as Bylaws, Board Member Elections, and of course - electing additional
Voting Members.

The short-story of the way it works is, each existing member can nominate
one person, and if elected, that nominator mentors the nominee as they
navigate HOT/OSM and achieve their goals. Those of you who love what we are
doing and accept the long and grueling challenge of ensuring effective
governance of the organization as well as strengthening and growing it, I
welcome you to contact myself or any of the wonderful people you may have
worked with here: http://hotosm.org/voting-members - rights and
responsibilities are also defined in the Membership Code linked/attached to
that page.

New Member Nominees are not required to campaign in any way, but are
encouraged to document their aspirations somewhere that will be linked to
the ballot (or otherwise work with their nominator to provide links/text
for the ballot). It is not easy to be elected as our existing membership
takes many things into account, including diversity. To be elected, a
nominee must gain written consent from ⅔ of the existing membership, in
other word 57 of the 86 current Voting Members must approve their
nomination via ballot (think of it as a petition requiring a certain number
of signatures).

Detailed procedures are documented here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-
83ZQvgXLentCAMS37gOPe1Lhmzs1UsqliohxfogJWk

The nomination period ends November 6th; at which point nominees, their
nominator and/or supports will have until basically the end of November
(28th) to introduce themselves via the membership mailing list and/or
IRC/Mumble/etc. Results will be ratified at a Special Meeting of the Voting
Members, tentatively between December 12th and 20th  and announced shortly
after.

Any questions regarding membership or this election process, please don’t
hesitate to contact me directly.

On behalf of the Voting Members, we cannot wait to meet the nominees!

=Russ

Russell Deffner

Chairperson for the Voting Members

Email: Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org