[HOT] Request to those organising a maperthon.

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:46:01 UTC 2016

Yes, that first version with letters written in blood was a bit over the
top. Versions six is wonderful though.

Small tiles are always a good idea for new mappers, as it is motivating to
be able to finish a tile. However, I often do see mappers forgetting to
mark their tiles as finished. So I'm going to focus more on that at future
events.

We had someone remote validating by chance at one of our events, and that
was really useful. But mapathons tend to focus on "empty" projects, as new
mappers get confused if they choose a tile which is badly mapped but not
marked as validated - which does happen a lot. So the chance of finding a
validator active there is quite small.

It might be good if we set up a system to make it easier for validators and
event organizers to find each other? Newer organizers might not come here
to announce their event. And even putting them in the calendar isn't very
obvious. The most simple thing I can think of is to put "contact the HOT
mailing list once you've set a date and task, to see if someone might do
some live validation". What would you suggest?
This is a very practical question, as we're helping out a national
organisation of universities pull off a mapathon in 7 universities
simultaneously. See http://www.internationalmapyear.be/mapathon.php

Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn