[HOT] Squared buildings

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 20:25:00 UTC 2016

On 4/14/2016 1:16 PM, Mike Thompson wrote:
> Those are both things that I already tell new mappers. But they type
> 's' and think they have made a square building.  We can talk about how
> that they should notice that nothing changed, but no one has ever
> asked me "why doesn't the 's' key work?" Perhaps they think that the
> squaring happens behind the scene and isn't visible? Who knows. Below
> are some of the results (blue buildings) from a recent mapathon.
> Inline image 1

They're not attempting to square the buildings, which indicates a
problem with how they're being instructed. Both iD and JOSM would have
squared some of them with no problems, so switching editors or other
technical solutions won't help here.

If all of those buildings have square corners in reality, there's a
second problem that some are so crudely drawn that neither iD or JOSM
will come up with a sensible result when attempting to do so.