[HOT] Emergency Mapathon in Burlington, VT - Ecuador Earthquake

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:43:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Suzan Reed <suzan at suzanreed.com> wrote:

> *1. Using the Area tool*
> a. Trace the exact outline of the building touching all four corners.
> Accuracy is important.

I am not sure where it should go in the instructions, but we want the base
of the building as it sits on the ground, not as it appears to the
satellite. For example, if a building has a peaked roof and the satellite
is not directly overhead ("off nadir"), the roof will make it look like one
end of the building is triangular.  We don't want that triangle traced.

> b. Identify a Building by the shadow it casts and the color of the roof.
> c. Buildings are often close together so be sure the corners do not touch
> (gray dot).

or overlap. Buildings should also not overlap roads or waterways in most
cases.

> d. Draw your Building as square as possible. Don’t make odd shapes.

Unless of course it is not square in reality.

> *2. On the left side of the Tasking Manager look for Building Features.
> Scroll down to Building and click.*
> a. This will designate your trace as a Building.
>
> The first time I think you have to click a second button that says
"building" to indicate that it is a generic building.

> *3. Next, **while the Building is still selected*
> *, press the ’s’ key. This squares the building and is an important step
> that must be done. *
> a. If the building isn’t selected when ’s’ is pressed, “shed” will show.

"If nothing happens, your building wasn't drawn with corners that were
close enough to 90 degrees. Adjust the building and press 's' again"