[HOT] Tagging evacuation centers

Paul Uithol paul.uithol at hotosm.org
Tue Apr 19 10:08:53 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Something that recently came up in Tanzania in discussions with
municipals officials and the Tanzanian Red Cross Society is mapping of
proposed evacuation centers.

I've found some text on this on the talk-us list
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2016-February/015874.html),
where it's noted the `evacuation_center` tag is being used in the
Philippines, but this appears to be a broader issue. A complicating
factor is that in Dar (as in other places, as noted in the other thread)
most of these places have other primary purposed (schools, playgrounds,
etc).

Has anyone encountered this in other contexts as well, or used another
tag in a different locations perhaps? Would be good to have a
documented/standard way of tagging these I'd say, would enable them
to show up on the HDM style and presets as well?

best,

Paul