[HOT] Squared buildings

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:20:53 UTC 2016

Do people leave helpful comments when validating tasks?

I lead Missing Maps sessions where I'm often the only "experienced" OSMer.
I do tend to include squaring/circling buildings in my demo steps, and I
just bought a few cheap USB mice o have those available

More importantly, after the event I try to review at least one task per
user at the event. If I invalidate that task, I will try and find another
of theirs that I can validate. I'm told invalidating a task sends a message
(with the comment contents) to the user. Validating a task will send a
message to the user if I use @ and include their username. For tasks that
would be invalid, I either make sure I mention what I fixed or I invalidate
it (even if it would be quick to fix) to give the mapper a chance to see &
fix what they did wrong/missed.

I'm not great at reviewing, because often I find it hard to have the time
and I don't find the tools fast for finding/reviewing tasks of new users.
Not all users manage to use our event hashtag in the change comment.

I know it's not practical to leave a message on every task reviewed, but
maybe reviewers could aim to comment on ~5 tasks per reviewing session (or
10 per 100 they review, etc).
I appreciate those who do a lot of viewing. 100% green looks better than
100% orange.

>From Newcastle,
Gregory (LivingWithDragons)

On 17 April 2016 at 23:30, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> trapezoid shaped in reality, this would probably not bother me though.
>
> Jo

>> ​Just to recap the problems, we start with iD not displaying the
>> buildings in the tile, whether this is because the time has lapsed and a
>> second mapper has started on the tile or iD not showing all the detail I'm
>> not concerned with the reason simply the fact that to me its not reliable.
>>
>> Then we have mappers not using mice and not zooming in.
>>
>> Huts seem routinely to be one mapped correctly then all the next ones
>> people come across are cut and paste of the first.  This means the size of
>> many is incorrect.
>>
>> We have an expectation that if we look at the area of the building we can
>> estimate the population.
>>
>> So we end up with a lot of approximately mapped buildings which we then
>> ask people to square.  When we square we are approximating again which
>> means the accuracy for building area goes down even further.
>>
>> Whilst Jo is happy to carefully inspect each building after squaring I
>> probably don’t have the patience when faced with a large number and I
>> suspect a fair number of validators feel the same.  Especially when its
>> faster to go in delete the lot and remap with JOSM building_tool plugin.
>>
>> I think we can assume that a four sided building will have four sides
>> when mapped.
>>
>> I personally think that a squared building looks better but from a
>> functional point of view we know there is a building there, the aid workers
>> have a map which shows them the location and if the four sides aren't
>> perfectly square they will still be able to recognise it.
>>
>> My personal view is for four sided buildings some sort of image
>> recognition software as the first pass followed by validation would give us
>> much better accuracy and probably be faster.
>>
>> My second choice would be to use something like the building_tool plugin
>> for JOSM. It would give us much better accuracy and people might even
>> manage to get the building lined up with the four corners of the image.
>>
>> We could of course clone Jo but that might be difficult.
>>
>> Cheerio John​
>>

>> On 17 April 2016 at 14:40, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> I'm validating tasks with many buildings in it and even though we
>>> stressed on it for the Mapathon, I still find quite a few of them not being
>>> made rectangular.
>>>
>>> So I started using this search to find all the buildings with 4 nodes:
>>>
>>> building inview nodes:4
>>> Square them all, then search like this:
>>> building parent modified
>>>
>>> So you can add all the buildings which have nodes that moved to the todo
>>> list. Then you can use ] quickly to review them and see if it still makes
>>> sense. use 'w' to move their nodes if needed, followed by 'q'. Then ']'
>>> again to move to the next one. This makes it relatively efficient without
>>> losing accuracy. It definitely beats ]q]q]q]q]q] :-)

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com