[HOT] Building Detection using Machine Learning

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 18:35:05 UTC 2016

My personal reaction is OpenStreetMap which is the data base behind HOT is
not very open to machine scanning.  The reason being they've seen some
fairly poor results in the past.

If you can set up some sort of workflow where the images are manually
verified that might be more acceptable but its quite tricky confirming the
existence of a building under building=yes and I'm not that sure it would
save much time over a mapper mapping with the JOSM building_tool plug in.
Based on what I've seen whilst these are more accurate than many mapathon
mappers manage they don't map the buildings quite well enough for me.  Yes
the building is within the square but it seems oversized to an extent and
the orientation can be slightly off.  The more accurate the building size
the more useful it is.  Having said that if it could be done into a
separate database it might well satisfy the demand for buildings that some
NGOs have.

Others will have other thoughts.

Cheerio John