[HOT] Building Detection using Machine Learning

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:04:38 UTC 2016

I agree with what the others have said so far... this probably won't be
used to feed into the main database but could have other uses.

One place where it could be good is in very sparsely populated areas
like northern Africa, where there are huge areas of empty space with a
few isolated settlements.  In the past we used micro tasking to have
users quickly scan though and find village locations and then manually
mapped the buildings using the microtask results to find the villages to
map.  This worked very well and your algorithm looks robust enough to
find the majority of villages.  Also in that case false positives are no
problem at all as the mapper just won't map anything when they look
there and false negatives are not such a big deal (as long as you
identify at least one building in the village the mapper can map the
rest themselves anyway).

Lastly, this could be used to re-check already mapped villages to see if
they need to be revisited to map new buildings, etc.  You could scan an
area and for each village spit out a set of numbers of how many
buildings are in both datasets, how many are only in yours, and how many
are only in OSM.  Based on that we can prioritize areas to be re-looked
at by human mappers to update to the new imagery.

So all in all this is a very useful tool to have in our toolbox, but
just not for direct inclusion into the main database.

-AndrewBuck