[HOT] Off-Topic: Medical textbook "Parasitic Diseases, 6th Edition" available for free

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:35:53 UTC 2016

New Year's Greetings!

This might be of interest to some in the HOT community, although not
directly related to mapping, it is related to one of most common
reasons we do map, public health.

The latest edition of a leading medical textbook on parasite caused
diseases (like malaria) was published in the last few months and the
authors have made the PDF version of the textbook available as a free,
easy download.

http://www.parasiteswithoutborders.com/parasitic-diseases-6th-edition/

It is a textbook intended for medical students and is written using
very technical medical terminology so it is not easy to read even for
native English speakers who are not in the medical or scientific
fields. I do a lot of google'ing while I slowly read it.

This is probably the leading textbook for medical students taking a
parasitic diseases course and it is quite incredible that the authors
have found a way to make it available for free. They are very eager
get this book into the hands of anyone who is interested or can make
use of the information, regardless of ability to pay for the book.

Regards,
Blake

PS: Two of the authors also do a semi-weekly podcast about parasitic
diseases, describing in detail an actual case each week and describing
how the diseases present themselves, life cycle of the parasites,
diagnostic techniques, treatments, etc.

http://www.microbeworld.org/podcasts/this-week-in-parasitism

Blake Girardot
skype: jblakegirardot