[HOT] Fwd: [OSM-talk] HOT Fiji & 180th Meridian

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 22:52:47 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

Ideally, and typically we map in response to support organizations on
the ground who request the map data from us for emergency relief and
they provide us their priority areas. No one contacted us in this case
and asked us for map data or provided priority areas so we did not
officially activate.

One of the community members (JGC) has been reviewing news and social
media to determine impacted areas and I am working on a tasking manager
project to support his suggested first priority area now (Koro Island).

In this case the mapping we do will probably be used during the
remainder of the relief phase and just as importantly for the recovery
efforts, knowing what used to be where and planning during
reconstruction (and used in insurance claims to cover reconstructions
believe it or not).

But without direct contacts on the ground we will be "mapping in to the
blue" and will publish our resulting data sets on HDX
(https://data.hdx.rwlabs.org/group/fji?sort=metadata_modified+desc) as
well as using the HOT Export Server to generate gps device maps with
building foot prints for relief workers.

I expect the first Fiji project to come out shortly for Koro Island,
which is small and only about 500-1000 buildings.

The follow on Fiji projects will probably cover the north shore of Viti
Levu as well as the small islands between Koro and Viti Levu.

Since it is not an official HOT activation, it moves a little more
slowly as we find people with the time to handle the process of
reviewing damage reports, existing data sets, existing mapping, imagery
and making TM projects.

So I think the answer is we are supporting, but without any ground
contacts it takes us a bit longer to get ramped up.

Regards,
Blake