[HOT] OSM Data Quality Assurance Curriculum Draft

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:15:07 UTC 2016

I agree Russ, that is important to bring out.

John said to me recently: validation is as much about coaching skills as
anything.

There also are two different audiences for osm validation, the
HOT/Missing Maps community volunteer type of mappers from around the
world, helping people around the world with maps and who are donating
their scarce time because they want to make a difference.

And the context of training GIS professionals, government employees or
NGO staff who use OSM data and OSM mapping tools because it is the best
platform by far for community and civic development as well as disaster
preparedness, risk and harm reduction and recovery processes.

That latter group of people can get a little different validation
experience than the former group.

But as John rightly points out, an understanding of good coaching skills
on the part of the validators will help both groups of mappers be most
successful.

cheers,
Blake