[HOT] Border Crossing West Africa

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 02:17:23 UTC 2016

The Red Cross is continuing our work on mapping the border areas of the
Ebola affected countries in West Africa. Today something that came up is
how exactly to tag border crossings. These are vital for humanitarian and
epidemiology. There is a barrier=border_control
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=border_control#map> tag but
from my reading of the wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dborder_control> it
doesn't apply to places where there is no fence. Often the borders in West
Africa are a river ferry with an office set back some distance away.

I wanted to see people thoughts about the best way forward to track these
features while still working within OSM conventions.

--
sent from my mobile device

Dale Kunce
http://normalhabit.com