[HOT] Sharing imagery for a mapathon/task - simple alternative to TMS?

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:04:46 UTC 2016

Hi Nick,

If you want an easy way to create a TMS endpoint (as we geeks call it)
for a map image, i use "mapwarper"

http://mapwarper.net/

I usually use it for maps that already have coordinates on them, but are
just scans or something so it is easier for me to "rectify" them. Hand
drawn maps you have to match up land marks or road intersections and
hope the hand draw map is pretty close to scale :)

That is the process of dropping a marker on your scanned map or graphic,
then dropping a corresponding marker on OSM to say "this point here on
the graphic, is this point here on OSM"

You do that 3 or 4 times and then mapwarper "warps" the map to fit those
points evenly.  Not unlike you do with piclayer in josm.

Something to look at at least, the rectification interface is not
difficult, but a little hard to use just because you have two view
panels next to each other and so they end up a bit too small and on my
junky old machine, the javascript runs kind of slow.

Otherwise, something simple like a shared google drive to save the
piclayer images and the document that goes with it with its reference
info so it displays correctly might work.

mapwarper has the advantage of just being another imagery source (export
tab has the TMS url) that anyone can easily use in josm.

piclayer needs the plugin and the shared files of course.

If I had more time I would offer to "mapwarp" one for you, maybe someone
here wants to give it a try, or let us know your experiences with it if
you give it a try.

Here is an example of one I did for Monrovia from an old US Gov map I
got from the library: http://mapwarper.net/maps/4573

Hope that helps.

cheers,
blake