[HOT] Difficulty in communicating with iD users

Suzan Reed suzan at suzanreed.com
Sat Mar 5 21:22:59 UTC 2016

The changes to ID were clearly made without any regard to the significant impact it would have on tens of thousands of mappers around the world. Although as you state OSM developers see themselves as above consulting with others on the impact of their work, that is arrogance. If they want to walk out because they can’t be team players and develop for real people doing real mapping, let them go. They shouldn’t be a part of the organization.

There is no reason thousands of ID users need to accept the dictates of a few developers who never gave one thought of the impact it would have on other people, thousands of pages of documentation, hundreds of videos, and all the monetary and human costs their changes would make. Yes, some of the changes are interesting and good, but reality needs to be inserted into the process and they need to know how their work impacts the mapping community around the world and that what they did is not good. There is a middle ground, and yet from what you say, they are too “in the clouds” to even consider it. That’s shameful.