[HOT] Issue with Harare project - 1649

Martin Dittus martin at dekstop.de
Thu Mar 10 16:36:10 UTC 2016

It seems to me there are really three separate concerns here.

1. Resuming Martin’s project. Russ addresses this.

2. OSM data quality discussions around HOT newcomers. That’s a big topic and an ongoing discussion, and is maybe best discussed in the places Russ mentions. Any such incident is probably best be referred to such a forum, however HOT members should be active participants in such discussions, so Martin please share links if you post to one of the OSM lists.

It may also be a good time to review data quality concerns that have been raised, and find some kind of consensus approach to dealing with them. For example a “best practices” doc for HOT coordinators (which may already exist). This will then help have such a discussion.

3. Dealing with uncooperative contributors. Without knowing the details, it seems to me that this individual has decided to take matters in their own hand and disrupt an existing process. While their intentions may come from a good place, their acts are hardly constructive. I'm concerned that this issue might not simply go away. Furthermore, it may also spill over into other projects.

As a community member I think this action was transgressive to a point where it warrants a slightly more formal response; for example a polite email by a HOT organiser with an invitation for dialogue, and a request to stop. I also don’t think Martin should be tasked to deal with the issue by himself; it seems he hardly caused the conflict, he merely happened to coordinate the project, which is one among many.

An idle thought — can project owners currently block certain users from using the Tasking Manager? Would it make sense to do so? Such a block would be easily bypassed, and might stoke the flames rather than stop the issue.

(Martin, you’re welcome to contact me off-list if you want support for any of this, however I should also say I’m not formally a HOT member.)

m.