[HOT] Fiji Cane Trains

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sun Mar 13 19:51:42 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

A little off-topic on a Sunday Mapternoon :)

I've been asked a few times; and was curious myself, but any local knowledge
folks - please correct me if I'm wrong.  However, it does appear that the
Labasa Cane Train is operating, at least at the time of the imagery.  If you
look at the Labasa Sugar Mill (just on the east edge of town), you can
actually see the sugar cane wagons.  I also think I found a caboose loaded
up off to the northeast.  It's really interesting because this is (I think -
not an RR expert - at all) the 'narrowest of all gauges' when it comes to
locomotives, which makes it incredibly hard to see in imagery.

Anyway, after looking at the pictures here:
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Fiji I was totally looking at
those full wagons on the tracks thinking - what the heck is that - well, now
you know :)

On a mapping tip note - there are many sections where the train track is 'in
the road'/shared way - in that case, just tag the segment with both
highway=* and railway=narrow_gauge

Happy Mapping!

=Russ

Russell Deffner