[HOT] Mapathons at Public Libraries

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Mar 17 18:18:27 UTC 2016

On 3/17/2016 10:17 AM, Mike Thompson wrote:
> 1) Should they promote the event to "families" (e.g. young people
> accompanied by parents). What should be the minimum age a) for young
> people mapping independent of a parent, b) for young people mapping
> with a parent?

As a general rule, you should avoid anyone 13 and under as there would
be legal hassles involved in targeting activities and signups to that
age range.

> 2) Can mapping be done on a tablet (e.g. iPad).

Yes.

> I know there are apps for this, but will the iD Editor work on tablets

No. iD does not have touchscreen support and is developed for desktops.

> and how difficult is it to do remote mapping on such a device?

The advantage of a tablet is has a GPS and can be where you are mapping,
which avoids taking notes down and allows you to enter data in the
field. It isn't well suited for remote mapping.

I'd also recommend that everyone have a mouse with a scroll wheel.
Editor software is usable without one, but like any vector drawing
software, a mouse significantly increases productivity.