[HOT] Mapathons at Public Libraries

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:24:49 UTC 2016

> Happy to see more mappers making use of public libraries and good on your
> library for sponsoring the event. Mapathons are a great compliment to the
> library makerspaces, have good mapathon infrastructure, and good staff
> support.

Should be a good change of pace from the brew pub setting we normally use.
It will be more family friendly, and folks that do not have a laptop can
use a library computer.

>  Bring your parents, too.

 Good point!  In the past we have had a few people say "I can't make it to
the mapathon, but my mom is retired and has lots of time, she would love
it!"

> There is no minimum age, per se. IIRC Courtney Clark/Peace Corps (cc'ed
> here) has some metrics around mapping productivity of differing age groups.
> While grade school children may not be as digitally adept as older kids,
> but they're still old enough to use a FieldPaper to do a bit of field work
> & sketch a map. Have fun.

Sounds like we should have gone for a local mapping event vs. a remote one
as it would give more of an opportunity to be hands on.  If this goes well
hopefully they will want to work with us again. We can also put in a
proposal to present about mapathons at one of their conferences in order to
interest other libraries.