[HOT] Forest Fires in Uttarakhand,India

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu May 5 06:22:49 UTC 2016

Hi Praveen,

Thank you for notifying us.  Some questions before we talk about
mapping Uttarakhand:

1. Who will use the data on the ground?  While mapping in general
improves the data in OSM for anyone to use, we want to make sure that
before focusing efforts of volunteer mappers, we know who will use
(and for what purpose) the data on the ground.

2.  What specific features and where should we map? OSM focuses on
basemap information (i.e. roads, settlements, natural features, etc.).
Based on news reports, the area affected by the forest fires is large,
we want to focus on what are the priority areas which are usually
where communities maybe at risk.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Praveen Kalura <praveenkalura at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is Praveen from India, resident of Uttarkhand State, Last week 3000
> acres of Hilayan Forest were burnt by forest fires.Lack of proper map in
> public domain was missing. Mapping of the area is very difficult task in
> Mountaineous terrain. Can we do something so that this forest fires can be
> mitigated soon.
>
> Suggestion invited.
>
> Thanks.
>
> http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/a-burning-issue-116050401371_1.html