[HOT] Fwd: Re: [Talk-ca] Fort McMurray forest fires

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Fri May 6 00:58:22 UTC 2016

Thanks for the info Paul, sorry to hear (when the ‘probability of ignition’ is high near me, I live on constant edge of when will that evacuation call come).

Another aspect of why and when HOT responds, isn’t necessarily geographic based – it’s based on ‘how well is OSM already mapped’ and ‘what kind of local OSM community exists’.  In both Canada and India, there is a great local OSM community; and I looked at the area around Fort McMurray – it’s pretty much mapped. The Uttarakhand state/province in India seems to lack buildings, but the road network and populated places is pretty good.

Of course there are many in HOT and on this list that can help set-up exports and connect response and aid organizations.  If there is any direct need for anything, we also have Members who are leaders in these local OSM communities and can also help connect folks.

Sincerely,

=Russ